Are Beer Wholesalers Buying Votes For A Direct Shipping Ban?
The National Beer Wholesalers Association (NBWA) has made substantial 2009-2010 campaign contributions to 11 of the 14 members of the U.S. House of Representatives who will determine the future of the NBWA’s efforts to outlaw direct shipping of any form of alcohol.
At NBWA’s urging, the subcommittee held a hearing March 18 on direct shipping issues.
According to Wine Industry Insight’s analysis of Federal Elections Commission Data made available by The Center for Responsive Politics and OpenSecrets.org, NBWA contributions rank in the top twenty contributors to the campaigns of those 11 members of the Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee on Courts and Competition Policy.
In addition, the NBWA is:
- The second largest contributor to Subcommittee member and overall Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers Jr.
- The third largest contributor to Subcommittee Chairman Hank Johnson and to Jason Chaffetz, and Melvin L. Watt.
- The largest single contributor to Reps. Howard Coble (the ranking GOP member) and F. James Sensenbrenner Jr.
Only three members of the subcommittee did not take money from the NBWA.
TABLES LIST TOP DONORS SO FAR IN THE 2009-2010 CAMPAIGN CYCLE
The tables below list the top donors to these candidates so far in the 2009 - 2010 election cycle and are based on Federal Election Commission data available electronically on Sunday, February 21, 2010.
The organizations themselves did not donate, rather the money came from the organization’s Political Action Committee (PAC), its individual members or employees or owners, and those individuals’ immediate families. Organization totals include subsidiaries and affiliates.
VIP Subscribers click here to read the complete, un-redacted article.
TOP 20 CONTRIBUTORS TO THE HOUSE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE’S SUBCOMMITTEE ON COURTS AND COMPETITION POLICY
VIP Premium Subscribers can access the complete tables of the top 20 campaign contributors to each Representative and the amounts involved.
MEMBERS ACCEPTING NBWA CONTRIBUTIONS:
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz, (R) Utah, 3rd
- Congressman Howard Coble, (R) North Carolina, 6th
- Rep. John Conyers Jr., (D) Michigan, 14th
- Rep. Charlie A. Gonzalez, (D) Texas, 20th
- Rep. Bob Goodlatte, (R) Virginia, 6th
- Rep. Darrell Issa, (R) California, 49th
- Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, (D) Texas, 18th
- Rep. Hank Johnson, (D) Georgia, 4th
- Rep. Dan Maffei, (D) New York, 25th
- Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner Jr., (R) Wisconsin, 5th
- Rep. Melvin L. Watt, (D) North Carolina, 12th
THE FOLLOWING THREE SUBCOMMITTEE MEMBERS TOOK NO MONEY FROM WHOLESALERS
Not a VIP subscriber yet?
Subscribe now, and get the rest of this 1,1552-word original article along with everything else on the site every day, including the Data Cellar for just $9.99 per month or $115.88 per year. Click here for more details.